Friday, June 17, 2011

Savoring fresh herbs from our balcony...

There seems to be nothing more satisfying in life than to cook with herbs you've cultivate in your very own garden. Tonight, as I write, I am making a dish that has become an institution in our house: Grandmaw Peacock's Chicken and Rice which was featured in the April/May issue of Saveur Magazine in 2003 (Issue N. 66). The recipe does not call for any herbs in particular but I've learned that making a recipe your own after you've practiced it many times is something of an art and is what makes it all that much better.

So, to the base recipe I added a little bit of rosemary, Provence lavender, dill and basil for a slightly more herb-infused flavor. The scent of the meal lingers in the air and makes my stomach rumble but I am willing to wait for it to be ready. To accompany the meal I've sauteed some zucchini, yellow squash, onions, mushrooms and green onions in some butter seasoned with black pepper. It's a simple meal but it's delightfully filling.

The little herb gardening project my Dad and I started began with only 4 herbs: basil, lavender, dill and rosemary. We have since added thyme, chives, mint, cilantro, and tarragon. It's such a joy to go out onto the balcony and see that little green corner. Now if only some rain would come we might have a break from all this heat.

Our balcony herb garden
Do try Grandmaw Peacock's! It's a great recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...