Friday, July 1, 2011

Cookies and philosophy...



Cookies...they are one of the most delicious yet simple pleasures this world can afford. I am never afraid to indulge in them and enjoy making them just as much. The process is simple and time honored. I particularly do not care to use an electric mixer when making cookies and pretty much always use a wooden spoon to mix, a wire whisk to beat and a good old spatula to scrape. I get covered in flower and of course pinch the cookie dough from time to time to bring some of that raw goodness to my mouth (and I have NEVER become ill from it). 

There is much joy in baking and a great sense of accomplishment. when one opens the oven door and sees there delectable golden mounds of gooey goodness. The aroma of sweetness fills the air and stomachs rumble at the prospect of hosting those incredibly wonderful morsels of sweet, melt-in-your-mouth, bits of heaven that are cookies. It is much nicer to contemplate with a cup o tea and a plateful of cookies rather than have none at all.

To contemplate life with a good bite of a cake-like honey cookie in my mouth was all I needed last week. I've been reading Matthew Stewart's The Courtier and the Heretic: Leibniz, Spinoza and the Fate of God in the Modern World and have just been devouring every bit of it. I just got past the 10th chapter which for me was what I had been waiting for. It spoke about Spinoza's philosophy with such profound insight that I could not help but yearn to know more. It was this book which I devoured as I sampled the velvety honey cookies I made last week. I highly recommend it if you are a lover of reason and philosophy.  

Up next? The recipe for the lovely cookies which accompanied my tea + philosophy...

Tea + cookies + philosophy = a perfect afternoon...
To be clear, the cookie in the above photo is NOT the honey cookie but rather a delicious Old-Time Sugar Cookie but I hadn't a picture of when I enjoyed the honey cookies so here is this other photo of the book! Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...