Sunday, September 25, 2011

Autumn has come...

Autumn 2009, Delaware-Raritan Canal Path, Princeton, NJ

Autumn is my favorite time of year and with it come a plethora of good wholesome dishes that arise from the bounty of the harvest. Tonight I am making a delicious stew and the past few days I've made lots of pumpkin goodies which I am eager to share with you. Today though, I wish only to share some thoughts and photos of autumns past. Soups, stews, hardy breads come to mind when thinking of autumn. Pumpkin pies, apple pies, baked squashes, rain and falling leaves are in the air.

Apples at Terhune Orchards in New Jersey
I long to get a whiff of an apple pie baking or of cider on the stove. It's my favorite time of year and I am in an area which has a different kind of autumn and winter, not at all like the northern ones I am used to. Still, at home I bake and it fills the house with that sort of autumn scent and brings back memories because when all is said and done it is the memories that live on in our hearts and minds. We are constantly creating memories and now with these Internet tools we can preserve them in perpetuity in a way our ancestors never dreamed of before.

Beautiful autumn bounty at Terhune Orchards
Aren't those colors beautiful? They remind me of days gone by. This year has been a challenge for me. I went from having a good job to having none and being back home with my parents but it has also been a year where I could exercise my creativity more and my culinary activity as well. So, here's to autumn goodness and to surviving the end of this tumultuous 2011 and entering 2012 with renewed strength and determination. 

Fallen leaves on Princeton University Campus, Autumn 2009

Enjoy the season! More soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...